WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Unsung Heroes

My personal horse world is inhabited by a lot of unsung heroes. They're not going to make dvd's of their successes or try to sell you a lot of special equipment with their name on it. They're not going to appear at forums or the Equine Affaire or on RFD-TV. They go about their horse training quietly, with no fanfare, no desire for fame or fortune, no hidden agendas. They just ARE and they just DO. I am in awe of these women. They've looked into the eyes of horses that others have called "hopeless," "aggressive beyond saving," "stupid," "dog food," and have seen right into their souls. These women have seen the hurt, the abuse, the desperate cry for help and the need to be loved and accepted, and they've brought these horses onto their farms and into their lives. Life isn't a Disney movie...........there were no instant miracles or sudden conversions and everyone hasn't lived happily ever after. But the women who listened and who were enlightened and who ultimately were chosen by these difficult horses have persevered through trial and error, through tears and laughter, through self-doubt and small triumphs. They may become discouraged, they may doubt themselves, but like Winston Churchill intoned, they "nevah give up...nevah, nevah, nevah!" And they've been courageous enough to allow some of us into their world; to share their worries, their doubts, and questions with us. These are my heroes - the women who are able to see the positive; who are brave enough to step outside of the box; who can see right into the horses' souls.
I gave up on a horse once........it haunts me to this very day. I know it was the right decision at the time but boy, how I wish I'd known then what (little) I know now! But maybe I'm thinking about this in the wrong way......maybe that aggressive, unhappy horse actually set me up. Maybe he was here to let me know that I need to grow, to explore other options, to do some serious self-reflection; maybe I needed to be humbled. I guess I should be thanking that horse. He was an unsung hero, in a way.
Ladies of the zen and fluffyzen, I salute you (and you know who you are so don't go all "golly gee, aw shucks" on me! LOL) and your horses! You are an inspiration, and your efforts, your love and your dedication are sending ripples of hope and enlightenment out into the world!
Heroes take journeys, confront dragons, and discover the treasure of their true selves.--Carol Pearson




1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. I found you through my friend "excels at nothing." As a former Middle School teacher I saw a lot of the same in kids every day. I like the way you put this.

    ReplyDelete