WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Flight Of The Suet

My Christmas tree is still up. No, it's not artificial, it's real. It's up and it's decorated and I enjoy looking at it every day! Granted, it's no longer in the house.....I dragged it out onto my front porch. And it no longer sports Christmas decorations. Instead, I decorate it with suet and chunks of bread purchased from the day-old trays at WalMart, and crackers and pieces of fruit. The birds love it!! I have two hanging feeders - one on either side of the porch - and my Christmas tree. There are days when I have seemingly hundreds of feathered friends gathered 'round - all chirping and cheeping and squawking and enjoying the food I put out for them. Yesterday when I put new suet in the holders, there was one chunk of suet left over - just big enough that I couldn't fit a new cake in the holder. So I took that old chunk out and put it on the porch floor, figuring that some bird would be glad to have it and I was right! When I got up this morning, that chunk of suet was gone. This afternoon, Jelly and I went on our usual snowshoe walk and about 1/2 a mile away in the neighbor's meadow, Jelly's tail went into a wagging frenzy and she pounced on something in the snow. She looked at me with snow all over her muzzle and what looked to be a chunk of bread hanging out of her mouth! I went over to her to make sure she didn't have anything dangerous and was shocked to discover that she had found THE CHUNK OF SUET FROM MY PORCH! ha ha ha Probably some crow or blue jay had made off with the entire thing and dropped it in the meadow! I couldn't believe it! I managed to get the suet away from the dog and flung it off into the hedgerow for another bird to find. I figured I didn't need to deal with doggie diarrhea tonight!
Dogs are our link to paradise.
They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent.
To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon
is to be back in Eden,
where doing nothing was not boring- it was peace.
-Milan Kundera


No comments:

Post a Comment