WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Monday, January 17, 2011

Horse Meets Dog

When I was done "dog sledding" the other day, I took Lucy into the barn with me when I checked on the critters' hay and water. Lucy is a minipin/chi cross who weighs about 8 pounds and she very neatly fits into the crook of my arm. I stepped to the stall door to peer in at the bucket - Lucy in my arms - and Split decided to come over to see what sort of strange growth had appeared on Mom's arm! He didn't come very close - Lucy was clearly sending out "GAH! What IS that?" vibes - she was shaking, her eyes were huge, and she pressed herself against my chest as hard as she could. Clearly this big, gray monster was out to eat her!! Split stood back, staring, ears going back and forth, and was soon joined by his partner in crime, Jingle the mini donk. There they stood, staring at Lucy as tho she was some sort of alien. Split finally took a few steps closer and then stretched his nose out to smell the dog. But, being the polite, gentle soul that he is, instead of actually trying to sniff Lucy, he began to sniff my arm and he nuzzled at my sweater with his upper lip, while keeping his eye on Lucy. Jingle, in the meantime, was watching intently, ears up, eyes wide (but soft and with interest). Finally, Split turned to Jingle and they touched noses for quite a few seconds, staring into each other's eyes, ears swiveling back and forth. They reminded me for all the world of 2 big bugs communicating thru their antennae! Their conversation was delightful:
Split: What IS that thing?
Jingle: Clearly it's a dog. Duh. It's Lucy, mom's granddoggie.
Split: Oh, yeah. What do you think of it?
Jingle: Kind of like a big rat but Mom seems to like it.
Split: Yeah.
Split then turned to me and again began to sniff and nuzzle my arm, this time moving a bit closer to Lucy who just pressed against me and prayed that she wouldn't be eaten alive! ha ha Again Split turned to Jingle and they pressed their noses together.
Split: I don't get it.
Jingle: Me, either, but you know how Mom is.
Split (sighing): Yeah. Hey, you think there's any hay left outside?
And at that point, he looked at me, turned and went outside. Jingle stood politely, knowing that if she stared at me long enough, projecting, "But I'm cuuuuuuuuute," there would be a peppermint in it for her. Yeah.....she was right! LOL What can I say? I'm a sucker.
Communication - it's around us, all the time, everywhere. Trouble is we humans stop listening as we get caught up in the day to day business of living. Clicking and CAT have helped me to realize that I have to listen all the time, otherwise I'm going to miss some really important stuff! And nothing brings that home like trying to "train" animals. I know who's getting "trained" here..........................
I've been referring to myself lately as "the old gray mare" but now I think I might try to be more like the owl! How 'bout you?
A wise old owl sat on an oak; The more he saw the less he spoke; The less he spoke the more he heard; Why aren't we like that wise old bird?

No comments:

Post a Comment