WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Sunday, January 23, 2011

On Just Being

Someone on one of my horse lists wrote the other day that she sat with her mare in the paddock, face raised to the sky, and together they "just were," with the sun and a light breeze playing over their faces. She said it wasn't a moment that most people would consider extraordinary, however, Friend's horse has, in the past, been extremely aggressive and untrustworthy, so this "moment in the sun" was absolutely glorious! They spent time together doing nothing......just "being." They've walked a long, difficult road to get to this point of mutual trust and understanding, and reading that post brought tears to my eyes.
How many of us take the time to "just be" these days? We all have so many obligations pulling us in so many directions that I think we forget to just be still......to "just be."
Quite often when I'm out walking Jelly on these gorgeous winter days, we stop in the middle of the meadow and I just soak in the beauty around me.....I "just am." And it's those moments that keep me grounded, make me remember that I am a part of everything, and that the Universe knows who I am and where I'm headed.
We've had some really cold weather here in NY lately but the other day after I'd cleaned the barn, it was quite warm outside next to the barn wall and Split and Jingle were out there, happily munching their hay, soaking up some UV's. I sat down on the stall door sill and just basked in the sunshine and within a few minutes, much to my delight, I was joined by my 2 furry equines! They left their hay to come stand over me while I scratched their chests and nuzzled noses with them. We were all content.......we didn't DO anything.......we just "were" in peace, in harmony, in silence.
My husband refers to my pony and donkey as "valium on the hoof." He's right......time spent "just being" with them is better than any drug yet created in a lab!
Take some time to "just be" with your horse or your dog or just yourself today. It's worth the "effort!"
We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.

Mother Teresa



2 comments:

  1. Great post, and great points.
    Very few people take time to do this, and I know I need to do more of it myself.

    I did Parelli before finding clicker training. (And while there are A LOT of things I don't like about Parelli) one thing I liked was (at the time) one thing the program emphasized was what they called "undemanding time," just being with your horse.

    It is sad how few trainers and training programs recommend just spending time being with your horse and hanging out! And to have a horse who is comfortable just hanging out with us, relaxed, without being concerned with what he is suppose to be doing or what is going to happen next. I actually find this can be hard for clicker trained horses, they want to be playing and training. Sometimes we need to work with them on just relaxing and "being."

    Again, great post. It really hit home regarding things I should be doing more of with a few of the horses I'm working with now.

    cheers,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - Your comments mean a lot to me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete