WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Saturday, February 26, 2011

What's On YOUR Jammies?

Last night I was sitting in the living room reading a book when my husband happened to walk by. He stopped, backed up and said, "What's all over your pajamas?" I looked down and discovered that there was hay all over my fleece jammie pants!"Uh, hay..." I replied. I'd worn my pajamas out to the barn to do the night feeding. He stared at me for a sec and went, "Oh," and kept walking. The sight of his wife's pj's covered in hay didn't faze him a bit, nor, apparently, did the realization that I was probably going to get into bed with hay still clinging to my "lingerie." (Flannel and fleece.......tres sexy, oui?)
My 3 daughters have given up on trying to pound any sort of fashion sense into my my hard, little head. Instead, they just roll their eyes, sigh, make snide remarks.......
When my middle daughter began planning her wedding, I was informed that she would take me shopping herself to make sure that I purchased an "appropriate" mother of the bride dress. According to her, clean jeans and a Ralph Lauren polo shirt are NOT appropriate wedding wear. Who knew?
Several years ago my youngest daughter participated in community theater. I would have to pick her up after rehearsals and since it was during the winter, I always wore my boots.
Said boots are pretty much what I live in when the temps go below 30 degrees so you can imagine how they look and smell after several months of barn cleaning. I actually didn't notice. However, I guess when you stand around in a hot, crowded lobby for 10 or 15 minutes, barn boots give off a certain "aroma" as they warm up. My daughter asked indignantly if I was purposely trying to embarrass her, showing up looking and smelling like a farmer??!! And, "Please, for God's sake, STOP WEARING THOSE BOOTS!"
I'm used to my family going, "Pssst! Pssst!" at public functions like concerts or plays or church or when dining out. "Psst! Psssssst! You have hay in your hair." "What?" "HAY! IN. YOUR. HAIR." "Oh, OK." Rolling eyes. Shaking heads. Glances of disgust.
My idea of "beauty treatment" is to show up at Fantastic Sam's every few months and get a few inches of my hair trimmed and my bangs evened out. Apparently manicure scissors don't do such a hot job. But my horses and dogs don't seem to mind that quite often my hair looks like I let a few mice chew on it.
Hay on my pj's? Big deal. What's on YOUR jammies??

"Fashion condemns us to many follies; the greatest is to make oneself its slave."
Napoleon Bonaparte (not Napoleon Dynamite.....GOSH!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment