WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Monday, February 14, 2011

NQR

NQR....no, it's not a new public radio station. NQR means "Not Quite Right." My friend, Laurel, uses NQR to describe that feeling you get in your gut that lets you know that something's "not quite right" with your horse.........or your life..........or whatever. NQR is that little "niggling" in your mind that says, "Warning! Warning! Something's wrong!" It's the alarm that clues you in and tries to tell you what's going to happen before what happens happens. How many of us ignore that NQR feeling and then find ourselves in trouble, floundering, wondering "how the h-e-double-hockey-sticks did THIS happen?" Guilty as charged, that's me!
Laurel has often used NQR when talking about how she uses CAT (Constructional Approach Technique) when dealing with abused animals; animals whose minds have shut down to the point where they believe that their only option when dealing with humans is to lash out in anger and aggression - to "get them before they get me!" Those NQR feelings have alterted Laurel to potentially dangerous situations and allowed her to back away or redirect her energies.
We all get those NQR feelings. Reflecting over my past 42 years with horses, I began to realize that it was when I ignored the NQR's that I got myself into trouble! I allowed someone else or even my own twisted little brain to talk me out of listening to the NQR. I let people mock my NQR's and decided to push the feelings aside. That's when I would usually end up "riding the ground" or having a horrible training session or wishing I'd taken up chess instead of riding. Had I listened to the NQR the first year I had Split, I probably wouldn't have been run away with. As soon as I brought him into the barn that day, the NQR kicked in very strongly but I shoved it aside and allowed my "twisted brain" to take over and talk me into feeling foolish; it told me that I was a very capable rider; that I could no longer allow horses to frighten me or intimidate me (loooooooooong story - see previous posts).............The NQR kept popping up and saying, "You'll be sorry. You'll be sorry." Split was nervous, snorting, prancing, shying at everything. I KNEW something wasn't right but I CHOSE to ignore all the warning signs. They were there - like neon signs blinking over our heads - but I chose not to see them. So when I got into trouble that day, who did I blame? Why, my pony, of course!!! Hindsight. It's a great thing and is always 20/20.
But it's not just about avoiding dangerous situations. NQR is also that feeling you get when you know someone is angry with you but you can't quite figure out why. It's how you intuit when someone is ill before they actually exhibit symptoms. It's how you know your kids are lying to you! LOL
This fall I went out to give Split and Jingle their night feed. I looked at Split and immediately, that NQR feeling kicked in. There was nothing I could put my finger on.....I took his temp (normal), felt his feet and legs (cool - no swelling), stood off to one side and just watched him eat. Nothing. But still, there it was.....NQR. I mentioned it to my husband who said, "If he's eating and drinking and pooping, I'm sure he's fine." The next morning, Split appeared as usual for his hay but again....NQR. Repeated all "exams" from the night before..................nothing. NQR. It bugged me all day. I checked that pony all day until I thought, "Hmmm......maybe it really IS my imagination." Saturday morning.............
Poor Split!!! Stocked up all around so that he could hardly walk; temp 104!!!!! Yikes!!!
Turns out he had erlichiosis - a tick-borne disease which, this year, was epidemic during the fall. It's treated by dosing the animal with antibiotics and banamine (for the temp) and within 48 hours, Split was right back to his normal self. NQR.
NQR......Not Quite Right. If you get that NQR feeling in your gut, LISTEN TO IT! Step back and take a deep breath and reassess the situation. It could save you a whole lot of trouble......or bodily damage! LOL
Well, I'll get off the soapbox now. I'm running late this morning but wanted to get my thoughts about NQR down before they became "WTF was I thinking about" thoughts! ha ha ha At my age....could happen!!!
Enjoy the day, friends!
I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely. Kim Basinger

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you were able to figure out what was up and that he is back to normal. Temps like that can be scary.

    I agree with you--it's good sometimes to trust those NQR feelings!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete