WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Happy Holidays!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE! The New Year is almost upon us so I decided I need to sit down and get back to bloggin'! I've included a picture of myself and my little rescue beagle, Jellybean, aka "Jelly" for short. Jelly came to us via the Humane Society and was formerly a mom in a puppy mill in Georgia. When she arrived here she was morbidly obese, covered in dandruff, loaded with fleas, had just had tail surgery so it looked like her tail was stumpy and "arrow shaped," and was afraid of just about everything....except human beings. For some reason, she still believed in us sorry creatures (after all, her only experience was from puppy mill owners!) and tried her very best to get us to love her. She didn't have to try very hard....one look from those beautiful amber eyes, one little white paw placed tentatively on my knee, one tiny lick on my nose and.... well, let's just say "she had me at hello." We cleaned her up, started going out for daily walks, and slowly but surely she turned from a little ugly toad of a dog into the shiny, happy, bouncy, loving girl that she is today!
I introduced clicking early on but at the first sound of the click, Jelly dropped to the floor and ran away in abject terror! Hmmm......back to the drawing board. I started using a tongue click and that was acceptable - she quickly figured out that tongue click = treat! She can now sit, wait, sit up (and beg! LOL) and give a high five!
Jelly is my poster child for dog adoption. If you're looking for a dog or cat, please consider adopting one from a rescue organization or your local humane society!
I have lots to tell about my adventures with Split and Jingle so will have to park myself in this chair more often so that I can share with you. I love feedback so leave a message!!!
Wishing you all the best.........
Karleen, Split, Jingle and Jellybeanbeagle

No comments:

Post a Comment