WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Thursday, June 2, 2011

I Miss What's Mine!

Ahoy, everyone! I know you've all been sitting in front of those computers waiting for my next blog entry so here it is!! (LOL!!)
Last week my husband and I joined his brother and his brother's wife for a week in Williamsburg, Virginia. Bill (B-I-L) has a time share at the Powhatan (pronounced pow-uh-TAN and not pow-HAT-in as we Yankees were quickly informed!) Resort and it's become our tradition go with them each May. It's a nice place - restaurant, fitness center, several pools, the old plantation manor house still on site (well-preserved and open for touring during the day), lovely ponds, and lots of Canada geese and the requisite goose poop. Each unit looks exactly like another inside and out, right down to the fake flowers on the kitchen table. No matter which unit Bill gets each year, no matter where it is in the resort, we can count on walking into the exact same thing.....
I realized about mid-way through this year's vacation, though, that I'm not a very good traveler. About 3 days into any vacation I begin to miss what's mine. My bed, my TV, my sofa, my pillow, my kitchen, my horses, my stinkin' beagle, my obnoxious cat, my truck.....I'm truly a homebody and take great comfort in the day to day rhythms here at my mini farm. If I need a "vacation," I go out and play with Split and Jingle or Jelly and I go for a long walk or I take my kayak out on the pond...........In the summer I will take a book and a cold drink and go float in the pool or sit outside in the evening listening to the tree frogs sing and watching the first flickers of the fire flies in the meadow...................
Virginia is nice and I do love walking the streets and paths of the historic triangle imagining how it might have been to be part of life 250 years ago but I was very glad to get home again. Home to my own "history" which, while not "quite" 250 years old, is still
mine.

Laughter is an instant vacation. ~Milton Berle

No comments:

Post a Comment