WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Donker Dog con't!

I always thought that Eeyore was a very cute little critter but I never really understood just how true to donkey personality he is until I actually started living with a donkey! A.A. Milne must have know a real donkey or 2 himself!
Jingle is a smart little gal and she quickly figured out that if her halter was being put on, it was for a specific reason and she wasn't going to like it! She would never, ever bite or kick but instead was quite accepting of her "fate." She would allow me to halter her and then literally lower her nose to the ground, lop those big ears over and stand there quietly - EXACTLY like Eeyore! She was clearly saying, "I don't like this. I don't want this. But you can go ahead and do what you want." I could "hear" Eeyore's voice in my head! LOL
The first time I tried to lead her into the barn so that the farrier could trim her hooves, she dug in her feet, pulled back and just sat there. How embarrassing!!
I'd spent lots of time getting her used to having her legs and feet handled (no clicker for me yet.....hadn't yet become "enlightened") and just assumed that because she followed me willingly at liberty all the time, she would do the same with a halter on! Well, you know what they say about "assume!"
By that spring, Mary Arena had started pounding clicking into my head (yeah, I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.............ha ha) and I thought (DUH), "Wow! I bet this will work for Jingle, too!"
Jingle LOVES clicking! She did learn to lead very well altho I must say that she still goes into "Eeyore mode" when she knows that the farrier or vet are on their way and believe me, she KNOWS the difference between when I put the halter on for vetting or trimming and when I put it on for playing!! Anyway, Jingle looks forward to our walk-abouts and leads even better than my beagle!
She steps right along, ears up, eyes sparkling, clearly enjoying our outings!
People always slow down when they see us walking along the edge of the meadow next to the road. They honk, they wave, they stop and say HI. But the best one was a guy who pulled up beside us and said, "Hey, what is that? A pony or a donkey?" I said, "It's a miniature donkey." "Oh," he said. "That's the cutest thing I've ever seen, man!" ha ha I'm going to start telling people that Jingle is a "Donker Dog" - part donkey and part Golden Retriever! She is, after all, a red donkey, so I think I can fool people!

I love this quote:
"I am a prince and you are a prince; who will lead the donkeys?"
-Arabian Proverb

Have a great day, everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment