WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Monday, May 10, 2010

Ramblin' on.........

Well, here I am again. What shall I write about today? Last week was a crazy one! I had to sub at school several days and was trying to get some yard work finished up, flowers planted (and now look at this weather! BRRR!!), some dog beds sewn.......I did get in some clicking, tho! Split loves to see me don that fishing vest! So many pockets, so many treats.............
Split's the kind of guy who needs to be challenged a lot when we click. He grasps a concept very quickly and once he's got it, his attitude is, "I know this. WHY do we have to keep harping on it?" So I tend to shake things up as we go along. He enjoys trying to figure out what I want next. Once we have a nice, clean loop, I have to think up another task for our loop or switch gears completely and come up with another loop. He's also the kind of pony who will tell me when he doesn't get it - no stuffing emotions with him! - or will inform me that I'VE screwed things up. No one likes to be told that but I'm learning to accept his criticism and input with a joyful heart! ha ha It sort of sets one back on their heels when their animal says, "Listen, Ma, you need to slow down and relax! Just go with the flow, Ma.....go with the flow........." Split's communications aren't explosive like so many others experience with their horses (and kudos to all of you who are working through those issues!!!!). He's a subtle kind of guy - he'll shake his head or perhaps stomp one hoof or he'll walk away or turn his hiney to me (I call this "getting the horsey finger"). I used to take all of that personally as in "How DARE YOU disobey me?" I would get angry and frustrated that Split wasn't doing as I'd asked! After all, he's a HORSE and I'm a HUMAN. Hmmm.......How the "mighty" have fallen! LOL Split does not tolerate fools gladly and I'm quite often at the top of the fool chain with him. But when we do "click;" when we do get the communication flowing between us, there is nothing better! We become like ballet dancers, giving and taking; supporting and complementing each other; moving as one creature. Those moments are glorious and I wish I could create them more often but I'm trying! And part of that trying is letting go of that time-honored tradition among horsemen that "you have to show them who's boss" or "don't let them get away with that." You all know what I mean. It's tough to change 45 years of thinking but it CAN be done! Our horses - indeed, ANY of our animals - are willing to teach us IF we're willing to listen. And that's hard, too. They're ANIMALS, for heaven's sake! Who are THEY to tell US what to do? And yet, they are wise beyond our comprehension and they try so very hard to *tell* us what we're doing wrong but we, as a human race, are incredibly deaf to what they're saying.
WELL.....this has taken quite a turn, hasn't it? I started out thinking that I would ramble on about clicking and have segued into communication but let's face it, clicking and communication go hand in glove. Once cannot be successful at clicking unless one has begun to communicate with the animal - on many different levels. And THAT'S why Split came here. He came to teach me humility (thanks for dumping me on the kitchen lawn, pal! ha ha), patience, to love myself, to stop judging and questioning myself, to be present in the moment, to LISTEN, always LISTEN.
A friend told me that God may have taken away my physical hearing but He replaced it with a different kind of hearing. (Thank you, Toni!) That is one of the most profound things anyone has ever said to me!!! And it's true! I try to remind myself of that every day!

We leave you with this quote for today. There was no author attributed to it, unfortunately, for they are wise words:

“Friendship is a comforting smile, a familiar voice that warms the heart, and the freedom to be the person God intended.”

I believe this holds true for us humans and our animal friends!
Enjoy the day, everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment