WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to my friend, my mentor, and the best teacher I have ever had. Without him, I would not have embarked on this amazing journey. Split, this blog is for you!
Ponderosa Misty Icon, aka "Split," is a handsome gray Welsh pony who came to me via a phone call "out of the blue" (actually Peterborough, Ontario). Our first few months together were rocky to say the least, which made me question my ability as a horse owner, as a horsewoman, and as a rider. Forty years of horse ownership had not prepared me for this little gray pony!
But we muddled through and because of Split, I have begun a journey that is both spiritual and enlightening. I hope something here resonates with you and that you'll check back now and then.
We leave you with one of our favorite quotes: "The best whisper is a click!"

Friday, April 9, 2010

Long time, no see.............

These past few weeks have been a bit stressful on many levels and I've (obviously) neglected my writing. I started this blog to try to get the creative juices flowing; to get some thoughts into print; to help myself sort through the ideas and philosophies presented to me on a daily basis..............But life has a way of throwing us off track; of totally unbalancing us. Trying to get back in balance is so very difficult. Being out of balance affects everything about me, from my frame of mind, to the songs that run through my head, my choice of books, my interaction with my family, and my health. Life is a balancing act in more ways than one.
One of the areas of my life that got "back burnered" was the clicking but that will always be there. I know that I can go out and throw on my ol' fishing vest full of treats (the "vest o' treats" ha ha) and Split and Jingle will put those ears up and nicker and wheeze (Jingle - she sounds like an asthmatic when she nickers) and beg to play the game! That's security. I know I can depend on that.
And that's what made me brave enough to start riding again. Split loves to click whether I'm on the ground or on his back. And now when I feel unbalanced on his back and he shakes his head at me, I can stop, breathe, and ask myself, "What just happened that I/we need to work on?" I no longer go, "AGH! Oh, no! He's going to run away! He's going to rear! (He's NEVER!) I'm going to fall off! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" (Ok, I just threw that in there so you would understand how ridiculous I was being.) Now I sit calmly and review the situation. I can click/treat for everything that goes right or I can "punish" for everything that goes wrong. Think about that.......which would you prefer? So now Split will try very hard to do what he THINKS I want and that's made us much better partners. Our communication skills have improved a hundred-fold and we are much more patient with each other.
Life has thrown me some curves this past month and I'm sorely being tested on whether or not I'm enlightened enough to understand "the power of now." I think I'm beginning to get it. It's never too late to change our way of thinking, in fact, I think it's amazing that we can continue to evolve and grow no matter how old we get! And every day, many times a day, I'm now asking myself, "What am I going to do with my now?"

We leave you with this quote:

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
Norman Cousins

Rest in peace, Zack Duncan! You lived life to the fullest and I will always remember the twinkle in your eye and the smile that could light up a room! Your journey here was a short one and we are all left wondering "why?" Your spirit will live on in others here on earth and in the hearts of all whose lives you touched. Shoot some heavenly hoops, little buddy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment